Return to top level.
Return to Blog.
Photo Albums from Southwest Trip, September/October 2006
- On the Road to Las Vegas, September 26, 2006 - This album contains photos from the road, down I-5, across the Tehachapis on CA58, then north on I-15 into Las Vegas.
- Las Vegas, September 27, 2006 - This album contains a few photos from Interbike and then several more of the main sights along the Las Vegas Strip as I walked back to the hotel from Interbike.
- Lake Mead, September 28, 2006 - We departed Las Vegas by taking a driving tour along Northside Drive through Lake Mead Recreation Area. We stopped at a couple of marinas to see the Lake itself, but unfortunately, due to low water, the beach was a long, hot walk from the end of the road.
- Valley of Fire State Park, September 28, 2006 - At the north end of Lake Mead National Recreation Area sits a small Nevada state park, Valley of Fire, where we saw fine examples of carved, eroded, and variegated sandstone formations.
- St. George, Utah, September 28, 2006 - This album includes photos from our evening at Elaine and Jerry's Health Deli in St. George, Utah.
- Arrival in Zion National Park, September 29, 2006 - We drove from St. George, Utah to Zion National Park. We stopped to take a few photos on our way into the park and at the Zion Lodge where we stopped for lunch before taking our hikes later that day.
- Zion Shuttle Tour, September 29, 2006 - After our hike to Hidden Canyon we took the free shuttle up the valley and back to the Zion Lodge, stopping to photograph the sights along the way.
- Emerald Pools Trail, September 29, 2006 - We hiked this surprisingly crowded trail in the evening.
- Angels Landing Trail, September 30, 2006 - One of the most dramatic hikes I've done, this hike starts at The Grotto near the Zion Lodge and climbs the West Rim Trail up Refrigerator Canyon and Walter's Wiggles to Scouts View. At this point the trail to Angels Landing proceeds along a thin arete to the summit of the pinnacle. The trail is similar to the cable route on Half Dome in terms of exposure, relatively easy with convenient footholds and handholds, where necessary, especially since we took our time. On our way down we passed many people climbing up. This is a more popular trail than the Half Dome Trail, probably because it's only 2.5 miles from the bottom to the top.
- Leaving Zion National Park, September 30, 2006 - A few photos taken on our departure from Zion National Park.
- Kanab, Utah, October 1, 2006 - We were planning to visit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and Lake Powell. Instead we all got food poisoning from our last lunch at the Zion Lodge. This kept us in bed for two days and pretty much cleaned us out. I took a short walking tour of Kanab to see what sights there were within walking distance of the motel on the day I wasn't as sick as Kay and David.
- On the Road to Bryce Canyon, October 3, 2006 - A few photos taken along our drive from Kanab to Bryce Canyon.
- Bryce Canyon Rim Tour, October 3, 2006 - We visited almost every viewpoint along the Bryce Canyon Rim Drive. The weather had been stormy the night before, but the day was crystal clear and bright. Visibility was excellent.
- Utah Scenic Highway 12, October 4, 2006 - We took a day and drove east on Utah Highway 12 through Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. We got as far as the summit on Boulder Mountain after stopping for a short hike at Calf Creek Recreation Area and a tour of the Anasazi Museum in Boulder.
- Bryce Canyon Depths Tour, October 5, 2006 - We hiked down the Navajo Trail from Sunset Point and returned to the canyon rim on the Queens Garden Trail. Near the end of our hike thunder could be heard in the distance, and occasional drops of rain fell on us.
- Ebenezer Bryce Cabin, October 5, 2006 - Bryce's old but partially-restored cabin is located at the south end of Tropic, UT. The interior still needs work, but the cabin appears to be weather resistant.
- Kodachrome Basin State Park, Utah, October 5, 2006 - This album features photos from the precipitous Eagle's View Trail.
- Bullberry Inn, October 3-6, 2006 - We spent three nights at the excellent Bullberry Inn Bed & Breakfast in Tropic, UT.
- On the Road to Baker, Nevada, October 6, 2006 - This album contains photos of the drive from Tropic, UT through Panguitch, Beaver, and Milford to Baker, NV, and all the desolate land in between.
- Lehman Caves, October 6, 2006 - This album contains photos from inside the Lehman Caves.
- Great Basin National Park, October 6, 2006 - This album contains mostly photos of Wheeler Peak and the upper Lehman Creek watershed as seen from Mather Point.
- On the Road to Ely, Nevada, October 6, 2006 - This album contains photos of the short drive from Baker to Ely, NV through the various mountain passes and storms.
- Ely, Nevada, October 7, 2006 - Most of the photos are of the East Ely Railroad Yard and Nr. 40 steam engine.
- On the Road Home from Ely, Nevada, October 7-8, 2006 - This album includes photos of US50 west of Ely, NV, including Eureka and Austin, NV, and a stop in South Lake Tahoe.
Return to Blog.
Return to top level.
All web site content except where otherwise noted: ©2019 Bill Bushnell
Background texture courtesy of Iridia's Backgrounds.
Please send comments or questions to the .